Its been a long time! I’ve had backend issues… uhhhhh let’s clarify that, backend issues for my site… everything is up and running now and my email is back!! Apologies to all of you who have emailed. Sharieross@glamaross.com is fully functional now.
I thought I’d share some invaluable motherly advice I received recently– some insane, some a little out there but well worth a try when you’re desperate to ease your fever ridden child’s temperature. Zach came down with pharyngitis and he suffered from a roller coaster of high and low temperatures for 5 straight days. Luckily he didn’t need antibiotics and was able to fight it on his own, but this meant that there were 5 consecutive sleepless nights for both him and I. Alas each night he would awaken at 3am sharp with a sky rocketing temperature of 39degrees Celsius, and subsequently need a good wipe down, some neurofen with a side of cuddling to let him know that he will get better. Meanwhile, through exhaustion, prayers, delirium and desperation for his recovery, I started to seek out other remedies to ease his temperature.
Desperate times, called for desperate measures… I was dizzy dialing my rolodex for any advice I could get on how to help a child break a fever/ cure a cough and ease a sore throat. So here goes nothing folks… let me know if these old batty mommy dearest remedies work…
10 desperate mommy dearest remedies to help your child through a fever/ cough
- Gargle with salt morning and night to kill the germs/ bacteria in the throat. WE TRIED THIS ONE… CAN’T SAY GARGLING IS THE EASIEST THING FOR A 6 YEAR OLD TO MASTER.
- A teaspoonful of manuka honey with a grate or two of ginger morning and night. FIRST DAY WE HAD TO FORCE FEED HIM, BUT HE FOUND IT SOOTHING SO IT GOT EASIER.
- Rub vicks on the chest, and the bottom of his feet (then put socks on him). BY DAY 3 I WAS DESPERATE. WE KEPT RUBBING THE VICKS AND KEPT HIS SOCK ON. HE HATED THE FEELING IN HIS FEET BUT IT DID ACTUALLY BRING DOWN HIS TEMPERATURE.
- Make some homemade barleywater to get the “heat” out of the body (good luck trying to get the kids to drink that!) HMMM, NOT ENTIRELY SURE IF THIS WORKED. WE MADE GALLONS OF THIS STUFF, BUT HE SEEMED TO LEAVE FULL GLASSES OF BARLEY WATER ALL OVER THE HOUSE. IF YOU GO THIS ROUTE, I WOULD SUGGEST SWEETENING UP A LITTLE BIT.
- To bring down the high fever, give your child Pocari sweat… assuming it serves up extra electrolytes incase your child is dehydrated. Please try it and let me know if it works. I never actually got around to this one.
- Check your child to see if he has gas discomfort by tapping his belly. If the sound is hollow then rub some aromatherapy oil (diluted of course) on his belly. THIS ACTUALLY WORKS. IT EASES HIS GASEY BELLY AND ALLOWS YOUR CHILD SOME COMFORT. I think Zach actually starts to fake the tummy ache occasionally so that he can get a belly rub… he was born the year of the dog after all!
- Cold bath to bring the temperature down straight away. ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON, BUT WORRY IF THE ICE COLD WATER DOES NOT BRING DOWN THE FEVER. TAKE YOUR CHILD TO THE HOSPITAL STRAIGHT AWAY.
- Serve you child boiled coca-cola with lemon to ease a cough (and rot his teeth, but keep him happy!) HAVE MANAGED TO AVOID THIS, FOR THE VERY REASONS I MENTIONED IN BRACKETS!
- Forget good old jewish chicken soup (the most delicious) because chicken supposedly brings on a cough… so just serve your child plain congee (chinese porridge). PERHAPS I’VE BEEN BROUGHT UP ON CONGEE AND FEEL THAT THIS IS THE ULTIMATE REMEDY TO EVERY ILLNESS, BUT IT WORKS! ALTHOUGH I’VE GOT TO SAY… I LOVE JEWISH STYLE CHICKEN SOUP!
- Let your child sweat it out in fresh air. Let him run around as long as he has the energy. Let him break a sweat and then make sure he gets dry straight away. IT SOUNDS ODD DOESN’T IT? AT THE TAILEND OF HIS COUGH, WE TOOK HIM OUT FOR SOME FRESH AIR. HE RAN AROUND FOR 2 HOURS (I REALLY DON’T KNOW WHER HE FOUND THE ENERGY!) AND HE SWEEMED TO “SWEAT OUT” HIS FEVER.
None of the tips above were from a medical professional and I would like to state that once the doctor told us that it was a virus, and we just had to help him ride out his fever and cough, I sought the above advice.
If you have any tips to share please let me know… at 5am after only three hours sleep for 3 consecutives days, this crazy bat will listen to pretty much anything… cue for the sane husband to enter and bring me back to the land of the living…